-
Advertorial
-
FOCUS
-
Guide
-
Lifestyle
-
Tech and Vogue
-
TechandScience
-
CHTF Special
-
Nanshan
-
Futian Today
-
Hit Bravo
-
Special Report
-
Junior Journalist Program
-
World Economy
-
Opinion
-
Diversions
-
Hotels
-
Movies
-
People
-
Person of the week
-
Weekend
-
Photo Highlights
-
Currency Focus
-
Kaleidoscope
-
Tech and Science
-
News Picks
-
Yes Teens
-
Budding Writers
-
Fun
-
Campus
-
Glamour
-
News
-
Digital Paper
-
Food drink
-
Majors_Forum
-
Speak Shenzhen
-
Shopping
-
Business_Markets
-
Restaurants
-
Travel
-
Investment
-
Hotels
-
Yearend Review
-
World
-
Sports
-
Entertainment
-
QINGDAO TODAY
-
In depth
-
Leisure Highlights
-
Markets
-
Business
-
Culture
-
China
-
Shenzhen
-
Important news
在线翻译:
szdaily -> In depth -> 
Details emerge about victims of deadly Shanghai stampede
    2015-01-06  08:53    Shenzhen Daily

    THE oldest was 37; the youngest was only 12.

    Shanghai authorities Saturday released complete details about the 36 New Year’s revelers killed in a stampede on the city’s waterfront on the night of Dec. 31, 2014. The victims were young, with an average age of just 22.

    At least 49 people were injured, including 40 serious enough to require hospitalization, the Shanghai government said on its website. The stampede, the city’s deadliest disaster since 2010, started at about 11:35 p.m. on New Year’s Eve as tens of thousands of people crowded into the historic Bund riverside district for a light show.

    Witnesses have described the chaotic, harrowing scenes they saw on the Bund, a popular area in the city to ring in the New Year.

    Details of some of the victims have also come to light in state media reports.

    Victims included Du Yijun, 21, a student who had just celebrated her birthday during Christmas. Friends reportedly described her as quiet but passionate about traditional Chinese literature, opera and fashion.

    She went to the New Year’s Eve celebration with her boyfriend, a fellow student at Shanghai’s Fudan University.

    After Du died of suffocation, her boyfriend posted a heartbreaking message online: “Losing consciousness in my arms, your breath and heartbeat became weaker and weaker. Finally, they pushed you out of the cold emergency room. I failed to protect you.”

    Li Na, 23, a migrant worker from a farming family in Jiangxi Province, was looking forward to getting married in 2015. She went to the waterfront festivities with her fiancé, her older sister and two friends.

    The group was separated during the stampede. When Li’s fiancé next saw her, she had already been declared dead at a hospital.

    The dead also included a woman from Taiwan and another from Malaysia.

    Underestimated crowd

    Forty-nine people were injured in the panic, authorities said. Twenty-two of them remained hospitalized yesterday, with six in serious condition.

    State media reported that Shanghai police have acknowledged that they may have underestimated the scale of the crowd that gathered on the Bund on Wednesday night and failed to deploy enough personnel.

    Although authorities had earlier called off the popular New Year’s Eve light show, many revelers — apparently unaware of the cancelation — still flocked to the Bund.

    Xinhua news agency quoted officials as saying that the turnout had reached the previous year’s level of about 300,000 people by 8:30 p.m., far exceeding government expectations.

    Police have given few answers as to the cause of the tragedy, saying an investigation is underway. They have dismissed reports that a rush to pick up coupons thrown from a bar overlooking the Bund was the cause, with focus shifting to overcrowding on a raised viewing area. Local media have cited witnesses as saying that it started when people trying to get to the riverfront promenade clashed with others trying to leave.

    President Xi Jinping ordered an investigation and told local governments to prioritize safety ahead of the mass celebrations for next month’s Lunar New Year holidays. The China National Tourism Administration issued an emergency notice Thursday night requiring its local offices to establish procedures to control crowd flows at tourist spots. A review of crowd safety procedures is being required by the government after the deadly stampede.

    (SD-Agencies)

深圳报业集团版权所有, 未经授权禁止复制; Copyright 2010, All Rights Reserved.
Shenzhen Daily E-mail:szdaily@szszd.com.cn