-
Advertorial
-
FOCUS
-
Guide
-
Lifestyle
-
Tech and Vogue
-
TechandScience
-
CHTF Special
-
Nanshan
-
Futian Today
-
Hit Bravo
-
Special Report
-
Junior Journalist Program
-
World Economy
-
Opinion
-
Diversions
-
Hotels
-
Movies
-
People
-
Person of the week
-
Weekend
-
Photo Highlights
-
Currency Focus
-
Kaleidoscope
-
Tech and Science
-
News Picks
-
Yes Teens
-
Budding Writers
-
Fun
-
Campus
-
Glamour
-
News
-
Digital Paper
-
Food drink
-
Majors_Forum
-
Speak Shenzhen
-
Shopping
-
Business_Markets
-
Restaurants
-
Travel
-
Investment
-
Hotels
-
Yearend Review
-
World
-
Sports
-
Entertainment
-
QINGDAO TODAY
-
In depth
-
Leisure Highlights
-
Markets
-
Business
-
Culture
-
China
-
Shenzhen
-
Important news
在线翻译:
szdaily -> Markets -> 
ZTE likely to lose Android license
    2018-04-19  08:53    Shenzhen Daily

SHENZHEN-BASED smartphone maker ZTE Corp.’s U.S. woes deepened Tuesday, as U.S. regulators proposed new rules that could cut into its sales, while a supply ban means it may not be able to use Android software in its devices, according to a source.

The U.S. Commerce Department banned American firms Monday from selling parts and software to ZTE for seven years.

Then Tuesday a U.S. telecom regulator proposed new rules that would bar government programs from buying from companies that it says pose a security threat to U.S. telecom networks, which will likely hurt both ZTE and rival Chinese smartphone maker Huawei Technologies.

The moves threaten to further complicate relations between the United States and China. The two countries have already proposed tens of billions of dollars in tariffs in recent weeks, fanning worries of a full-blown trade war that could hurt global supply chains as well as business investment plans.

The U.S. Commerce Department decision means ZTE Corp. may not be able to use Google’s Android operating system in its mobile devices, a source familiar with the matter said Tuesday.

ZTE and the Alphabet Inc. unit have been discussing the impact of the ban, the source added, but the two companies were still unclear about the use of Android by ZTE as of Tuesday morning.

ZTE shipped 46.4 million smartphones last year, placing it seventh among Android-based manufacturers, according to research firm IHS Markit.

Google declined to comment and ZTE has not responded to requests to comment.

The proposed new rules from the U.S. Federal Communications Commission (FCC), meanwhile, which are expected to be finalized this year, appear to be another prong in a U.S. effort to prevent ZTE and Huawei from gaining significant market share in the United States.

They would prevent money from the US$8.5 billion FCC Universal Service Fund, which includes subsidies for telephone service to poor and rural areas, from being spent on goods or services from companies or countries which pose a “national security threat to the integrity of communications networks or their supply chains,” the FCC said.

Republican U.S. senators have also introduced legislation that would block the U.S. Government from buying or leasing telecom equipment from Huawei or ZTE. (SD-Agencies)

深圳报业集团版权所有, 未经授权禁止复制; Copyright 2010, All Rights Reserved.
Shenzhen Daily E-mail:szdaily@szszd.com.cn