-
Advertorial
-
FOCUS
-
Guide
-
Lifestyle
-
Tech and Vogue
-
TechandScience
-
CHTF Special
-
Nanshan
-
Futian Today
-
Hit Bravo
-
Special Report
-
Junior Journalist Program
-
World Economy
-
Opinion
-
Diversions
-
Hotels
-
Movies
-
People
-
Person of the week
-
Weekend
-
Photo Highlights
-
Currency Focus
-
Kaleidoscope
-
Tech and Science
-
News Picks
-
Yes Teens
-
Budding Writers
-
Fun
-
Campus
-
Glamour
-
News
-
Digital Paper
-
Food drink
-
Majors_Forum
-
Speak Shenzhen
-
Shopping
-
Business_Markets
-
Restaurants
-
Travel
-
Investment
-
Hotels
-
Yearend Review
-
World
-
Sports
-
Entertainment
-
QINGDAO TODAY
-
In depth
-
Leisure Highlights
-
Markets
-
Business
-
Culture
-
China
-
Shenzhen
-
Important news
在线翻译:
szdaily -> News -> 
S. KOREAN REPORTERS ARRIVE IN NORTH TO COVER NUKE SITE CLOSING
    2018-05-24  08:53    Shenzhen Daily

EIGHT South Korean journalists arrived in the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK) yesterday to cover the planned dismantling of the DPRK’s nuclear test site, raising expectations for the suspended inter-Korean talks to be resumed in the near future.


Seoul’s unification ministry said the journalists left for the DPRK’s east city of Wonsan at 12:30 p.m. local time on a government plane from an airport outside of the capital Seoul.


The South Korean airplane carrying the reporters would fly via a direct route over the eastern waters to the DPRK city.


The visit was permitted at the last minute as Pyongyang received the list of the South Korean journalists earlier in the day at the opening call of the inter-Korean hotline in the border village of Panmunjom.


The DPRK has invited journalists from China, Russia, the United States, Britain and South Korea to witness the dismantling of the Punggye-ri underground nuclear test site, where all of its six nuclear tests were conducted, scheduled for May 23-25.


Except for the South Korean journalists, other press corps already arrived at Wonsan on Tuesday on a flight from Beijing.


The press corps, joined by South Korean reporters, are expected to go by train to the nuclear test site to report on the dismantlement.


The DPRK had refused to receive the list of South Korean journalists, citing the annual South Korea-U.S. air combat exercises, codenamed Max Thunder.


The air drills reportedly mobilized about 100 aircraft, including eight U.S. F-22 Raptor stealth fighter jets. The radar-evading fighter is used to secretly attack an enemy target.


South Korea had claimed the joint air drills were defensive in nature, while the DPRK considered it a dress rehearsal for the northward invasion.


As Pyongyang has permitted the South Korean media to cover the nuclear test site dismantling, expectations are running high for the suspended inter-Korean talks to be resumed.


The DPRK made a pre-dawn cancellation last week of the scheduled high-level talks with South Korea citing the air drills between Seoul and Washington.


During the summit meeting in Washington with U.S. President Donald Trump, South Korean President Moon Jae-in said he expected the resumption of the halted inter-Korean talks after Max Thunder ends tomorrow, according to the Blue House of South Korea.


Moon and Trump agreed to make their best efforts to make the DPRK-U.S. summit happen June 12 as scheduled, Moon’s senior press secretary Yoon Young-chan said.


Trump said at the meeting with Moon that his scheduled meeting with top DPRK leader Kim Jong Un in Singapore “may not work out for June 12,” raising a possibility of delay for the first-ever summit between the DPRK and the United States.


The U.S. president said “certain conditions” needed to be met for the DPRK-U.S. summit, but he did not elaborate on details. “If we don’t, we won’t have the meeting,” said Trump.


The DPRK warned last week that Pyongyang would have to reconsider whether to attend the Singapore meeting if the United States “only wants to press the DPRK to abandon its nuclear arsenal.”


(SD-Xinhua)

深圳报业集团版权所有, 未经授权禁止复制; Copyright 2010, All Rights Reserved.
Shenzhen Daily E-mail:szdaily@szszd.com.cn