1. Aida cries as she recovers from severe injuries after the Syrian Army shelled her house in Idlib, north Syria, on March 10. Aida’s husband and two of her children were killed in the attack. The Syrian conflict has continued for more than 21 months, escalating into almost-all-out civil war.
2. Denise Paba, who lost her 6-year-old niece Veronica Moser, cries during a memorial for victims at the theater where a gunman opened fire on moviegoers in Aurora, Colorado, the United States, on July 22. The gunman killed 12 people and wounded 58 after opening fire at a cinema showing the new Batman movie.
3. Egypt’s ex-President Hosni Mubarak lays on a gurney inside a barred cage in Cairo, Egypt, on June 2. Mubarak was sentenced to life in prison for his role in the killing of protesters during last year’s revolution that forced him from power.
4. U.S. President Barack Obama and his wife gesture with Vice President Joe Biden and his wife after his election night victory speech in Chicago on Nov. 6.
5. Members of the Palestinian delegation react during a meeting of the United Nations General Assembly after a vote on a resolution on the issue of upgrading the Palestinian Authority’s status to nonmember observer state passed in the United Nations in New York on Nov. 29.
6. The Democratic People’s Republic of Korea said it successfully fired off a long-range rocket mounted with a satellite Dec. 12.
7. An explosion and smoke are seen in Gaza City on Nov. 17. Israeli aircraft pounded Hamas government buildings in Gaza after Israel’s Cabinet authorized the mobilization of up to 75,000 reservists, preparing the ground for a possible invasion into Gaza.
8. A riot police officer is engulfed by petrol bomb flames thrown by protesters in front of the parliament during clashes in Athens on Nov. 7.
9. Pilot Felix Baumgartner of Austria jumps out of a capsule during a manned flight Oct. 14. In a giant leap from more than 39 kilometers up, Baumgartner shattered the sound barrier while making the highest jump ever with a death-defying plunge from a balloon to a safe landing in the New Mexico desert. (SD-Agencies)